Get started with setting up your accounting codes by navigating to Settings > Accounting. Don't see this option? Any admin builder user on your account has access to these settings.
From there, click on the "Accounting Codes" tab to view your list.
You have a few different options for getting your accounting code information into CoConstruct, which are detailed below.
Any user who is setting up or editing accounting codes will need to have admin access. However, once your codes are entered into CoConstruct, non-admin users can use these codes on the estimate, specs & selections, and budgets.
Note: If you’re using numbering in your codes, we recommend that all of your codes have the same number of digits so they sort properly (e.g. 1234, 2734, 9800). You can use leading zeros on codes that have fewer digits, such as making 100 into 0100.
Adding accounting codes manually
- On the "Accounting Codes" tab, click the "New" button at the top to add a new code
- From here, simply enter all of your accounting code information and hit "OK."
- Repeat for all of your codes
Importing accounting codes from a file
You can also import a list of accounting codes into CoConstruct from a file.
- By clicking "Import" and selecting the option to import "from a file", you can easily upload the codes to start building your budgets.
- The system will prompt you with a .csv template that you can use to input your codes and descriptions.
- Excel Tip: If you are following the sorting recommendation above to add leading zeros to some of your codes, Excel will often automatically convert entries of "0020" to "20", which can change the sorting of your list of codes. To prevent this, you can enter a single quote before your code. Example: '0015. Excel will ignore the single quote and import the code correctly.
- Save (keeping the format as a .csv)
- Select the file you just saved in the prompt in CoConstruct to finish the process. CoConstruct will review your data and let you know if something isn't valid before importing your information.
Importing accounting codes from your accounting system
Have you linked CoConstruct to QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, or Xero in order to take advantage of our accounting integration features? If so, you'll be able to pull in your list of codes directly from your accounting system.
New accounting codes will be created in CoConstruct for each code in QuickBooks or Xero. Any accounting codes that have already been entered in CoConstruct will be linked to the corresponding codes from your accounting software. In order for the existing codes to match during the import process, they must be entered exactly the same between the two systems.
- Click "Import" on the Accounting Codes page
- If you have linked your CoConstruct account with your accounting system, you will see an option to import from your accounting sofware's list of codes.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, these codes will be pulled from your Item List
- In QuickBooks Online, these codes will be pulled from your list of Products and Services
- In Xero, these codes will be pulled from your list of Inventory Items
If you’re planning to integrate with Quickbooks and don’t currently have items or products set up in your accounting system, please reference our article on Importing Accounting Codes to Quickbooks.