At CoConstruct, we want to make it easy to set up accounting integration between your CoConstruct account and your QuickBooks Online account. This article includes both a video walking you through the setup process, as well as step-by-step written directions to make sure everything goes smoothly.
If you are looking to integrate with QuickBooks Desktop, your setup process will be different, so you'll want to check out this article: https://coconstruct.zendesk.com/entries/26054340-Setting-up-accounting-integration-with-QuickBooks-Desktop
Setting Up QuickBooks Online Accounting Integration
This video will walk you through the main steps of the setup process. You can also review the written step-by-step directions below.
Step 1 - Link CoConstruct to QuickBooks Online
First you will link your QuickBooks account to your CoConstruct account within CoConstruct. You will need to be logged in as an admin user in CoConstruct to do this.
- Select Accounting from the Settings menu at the top.
- Click "Connect to QuickBooks" and select "Online" from the drop down.
- Log in using your QuickBooks Online login information.
- You will need to be, or log in as, the Admin user on your QuickBooks Online account to complete this step.
- If you find yourself logged in as the wrong user, you can click the link that says "Not You?" to log out of Intuit's system. Close the pop up window, click the button in CoConstruct again to connect to QuickBooks Online, and enter the correct login information. If you continue to have issues after logging in, we recommend that you clear your browser's cache and cookies, restart your browser, and try again.
Step 2 - Configure Accounting Integration Settings
There are a handful of accounting integration settings that you should configure while you're on the Accounting Integration page in CoConstruct.
Budget Actuals - If you're using QuickBooks Online Plus, this allows you to set your default whether or not to automatically pull job costs from QuickBooks to be displayed on the CoConstruct budget.
- You'll need to make sure you're tracking your actuals with your products and services within QuickBooks Online. For help configuring your QuickBooks Online account to track costs with those products and services, please see this article: https://coconstruct.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204212900
- For more information on retrieving budget actuals, please refer to our article and video on the topic: https://coconstruct.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202977284-Retrieving-budget-actuals-from-QuickBooks
- Purchase Orders > Bills - If you're using QuickBooks Online Plus, his setting allows you to choose whether your projects are set up to automatically generate vendor bills in QuickBooks when POs are verified in CoConstruct. You will be able to adjust this default on individual project settings.
- Change Orders > Invoices - Sets your default for whether change orders are set to automatically generate customer invoices in QuickBooks when change orders are approved in CoConstruct. This setting can be changed on individual change order documents.
- Client Payments - This sets the default for whether new projects that you create will pull payment information from QuickBooks and put the information in the Payments Summary section on the Financials Summary page.
- How do you want to link projects to QuickBooks? - This option lets you specify whether your CoConstruct projects will be tied to a Customer or to a Customer:Job in QuickBooks.
- However you have been setting up projects in QuickBooks will be what you choose here.
- In general terms, Customer:Job setup lets you have multiple sub-customers or projects tied to a specific customer, while Customer setup sets each project up as an individual customer.
- For more information on customers vs. jobs, this article from Intuit might be useful: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/inproducthelp/Core/QB2K12/ContentPackage/Core/Center_Customer/info_customer_center_using.html
- For more information on what this means, view our Help Center article What default tax rate should I use for QuickBooks Online?
- If you don't collect taxes, you shouldn't see this option. If you are seeing this setting and have nothing to select see this article for instructions on how to turn that off: What if I don't have a default tax rate?
- This comes from your list of products or services in QuickBooks.
- For more information, see this article: https://coconstruct.zendesk.com/entries/25854620-What-item-code-should-I-use-for-invoices-
Step 3 - Link Projects
Now your account is fully linked, but you also need to link up individual projects to your accounting system. Note that this can only by done by admin users in CoConstruct.
- Go to the New Project or project Setup page depending on whether you want to link a new or existing project. You'll see the option to link the project to QuickBooks under a section heading of "QuickBooks Integration."
- Link new projects when you create them. Simply select to "Show optional settings" to view options for linking directly to QuickBooks.
- Use the Accounting Settings "Projects" page to link any existing project OR individually link any project right from the Project Setup page.
- You can enter this information in CoConstruct to create the linkage either before or after setting the project up in QuickBooks.
- If you do it before, the customer will be created for you in QuickBooks, but you'll need to go into your accounting system to enter additional information that CoConstruct doesn't know, like the customer's billing address.
- If you do this after creating the project in QuickBooks, CoConstruct will link to the existing customer or job rather than creating a new one.